Free Online Primary FL Teacher Education
Teaching and Learning Languages in Primary Schools: Putting Research into Practice
Starts from 5th October
- MOOC on Futurelearn
- Alison Porter, University of Southampton
- Florence Myles, University of Essex
- Suzanne Graham, University of Reading
- This course is primarily designed for primary school teachers who teach children foreign languages. However, it will also provide useful content for language teacher educators, as well as school subject leads and leadership teams.
- The course will also be of interest to parents, private language school practitioners and those who run after-school language clubs, including private tutors.
Course objectives – By the end of the course Participants will be able to:
- Synthesise and discuss empirical evidence regarding young language learner motivation, progression and literacy learning
- Evaluate language learning resources and practice against language learning theory and evidence
- Explain the importance of classroom and teacher factors in young learners’ progression and outcomes
- Experiment with existing practice or novel resources and record reflections on their effectiveness in terms of linguistic outcomes, cognitive and emotional engagement